Virtual Machine storage migration failing with the following error:
Invalid / explicitly disabled state operation is invoked
This usually occurs because the backup system has explicitly disabled Storage vMotion for that particular VM to reduce backup failure risk
To fix this carry out the following steps:
NB: Always be sure to backup your DB before making any SQL changes just in case, but we’ve never seen a problem with this script.
- Stop the vCenter Service.
- Run the following SQL against the vCenter DB:
select * from VPX_VM WHERE FILE_NAME LIKE '%Virtual-Machine-Name%'
- Then run the following, using the ID found in column 1 from the above result:
select * from VPX_DISABLED_METHODS WHERE ENTITY_MO_ID_VAL = 'vm-'
- Then remove the bad row as follows:
delete from VPX_DISABLED_METHODS WHERE ENTITY_MO_ID_VAL = 'vm-'
- Start vCenter Server Services, then retry the Storage vMotion.